- IELTS India: An Overview
- Why is the IELTS Exam Important?
- IELTS Exam Dates in India
- Eligibility Criteria for IELTS India
- Registration Procedure for IELTS India
- Online Registration
- Registration at the Nearest IDP Branch Office (In-Person)
- Fees and Payment for IELTS India
- IELTS India Exam Format
- IELTS India Syllabus
- IELTS India Results and Scores
- British Council vs IDP IELTS India
- Best IELTS Books in India
- IELTS Test Centres in India
- Tips to Crack the IELTS Exam
- Prepare for IELTS India with Leverage Live
- IELTS Success Stories
We all know that many international universities around the world require English Language Proficiency scores as a part of the admission process, especially for those who are non-native English language speakers. IELTS or International English Language Testing System is one of the world’s most popular English proficiency tests which is designed to test a candidate’s command and proficiency of the English language. Explore this blog to find out everything that you need to know about IELTS India, its format, important exam dates, exam pattern, and some useful preparation tips.
IELTS India: An Overview
Why is the IELTS Exam Important?
The IELTS exam is very important for those who wish to seek admission to universities where the native language is English. The IELTS exam is proof of your command of the English language. Many International Universities require students to submit their IELTS scores while seeking admission because they need to assess the candidate’s capability of keeping up with their program’s main medium of instruction, i.e, English. Also, different universities have their minimum score criteria and candidates must check the criteria before applying.
Bạn Đang Xem: All about IELTS India
Read more: When ielts started in india
IELTS Exam Dates in India
The IELTS India is conducted by IDP. The IELTS exam started on 9th January 2021 and will continue until 19th December 2021. The remaining IELTS exam schedule includes:
Eligibility Criteria for IELTS India
The eligibility criteria for students who wish to give the IELTS India exam is as follows:
- The minimum IELTS exam age limit in India is 16 years old.
- The candidate must possess a valid and non-expired passport.
- The IELTS exam is mandatory for those who are planning to immigrate to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the UK.
- The IELTS exam is mandatory for students who wish to study in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the USA, the UK, and other countries.
- Medical professionals who plan to study or work in Australia, UK, and the USA.
Note: The minimum IELTS score varies from one university to another. Students must inquire about the minimum score criteria before applying for admission.
Registration Procedure for IELTS India
Students must first register for the IELTS India exam to book their test appointment slots. You can find below the steps to register and book a slot for your IELTS exam in India :
- First, log in to www.ieltsidpindia.com and select the option ‘Register for IELTS’.
- Select your preferred test: CBT IELTS/ PBT (IELTS, IELTS for UKVI, or Life Skills).
- Select your test type/module, which is Academic or General Training for IELTS.
- Choose the test date and test city, which will be shown as per availability.
- You must also compulsorily upload a clear scanned copy of your Passport.
- Complete the online application and pay the test fee via credit card (Master or Visa).
- After successful registration, you will get a notification regarding your booked slot and other important details about, the exam.
Registration at the Nearest IDP Branch Office (In-Person)
- After locating the nearest IDP Branch office, the candidate must register online using the office computer and make the online payment of your test fees. You will get immediate confirmation of your seat.
- Submit a photocopy of your Passport (first and last page) and other observation pages along with the terms and conditions document which is duly signed by you.
- Finally, take the instant acknowledgement letter confirming your seat in the test.
Fees and Payment for IELTS India
The candidate can pay the fees in two ways, which depend on the mode of registration, i.e, online or offline. The IELTS payment options in India are as follows :
- The candidate can make the payment via both debit card and credit card. Net Banking or through PayTM Wallet.
- In case of offline registration, the candidate can pay via a Demand Draft or an ICICI/HDFC deposit slip.
The IELTS India test fee is as follows:
IELTS India Exam Format
The IELTS India exam pattern consists of four sections. They are as follows:
Additionally, the IELTS Life Skills Test is available at three-level which are as follows :
- IELTS Life Skills: A1 Speaking and Listening
- IELTS Life Skills: A2 Speaking and Listening
- IELTS Life Skills: B1 Speaking and Listening
Under the IELTS Life Skills Test, the candidate will take the test with an examiner as well as with another candidate.
IELTS India Syllabus
You can find a detailed syllabus of the IELTS India exam below:
The listening section consists of four sections which are as follows:
- A conversation between two people is set in an everyday context.
- A monologue that is also set in an everyday context.
- A group conversation between people in an educational or training context.
- A monologue on any academic subject.
This section contains a total of 40 questions. The IELTS Academic Reading Test includes the following:
- Reading three long texts which may range from descriptive and factual texts to discursive and analytical text.
- The text may be taken from a variety of sources such as journals, newspapers, and magazines.
The IELTS General Reading Test includes:
- Just like the IELTS Academic Reading Test, the General Reading Test also includes three long texts with a variety of tasks.
- The texts may be taken from sources such as newspapers, journals, notices, company handbooks, and guidelines. Basically any material that you may encounter in a normal English-speaking environment.
The IELTS Academic Writing Test includes two main tasks:
- Task 1: The candidate will be presented with a graph, table, chart, or diagram and they will be required to summarize, describe or explain it in their own words.
- Task 2: The candidate will also be required to write an essay in response to an argument, problem, or point-of-view. Both the tasks must be written formally.
The IELTS General Writing Test includes two tasks:
- Task 1: The candidate will be given a situation in response to which they are required to write a letter, asking for further information, or explaining the situation. The style of the letter may be semi-formal, formal, or personal (informal).
- Task 2: The candidate will also be required to write an essay in response to an argument, problem, or point-of-view. However, this essay can be personal instead of being formal.
The IELTS India Speaking Test includes three tasks:
- Task 1: The candidate will be asked basic questions related to their family, interest, hobbies, studies, and work. It usually lasts up to 4-5 minutes.
- Task 2: The candidate will be given a card with a topic name. The candidate needs to speak on that particular topic for up to 2 minutes after having a preparation time of 1 min. At the end of the task, the examiner may ask 1-2 questions on the topic.
- Task 3: This is more of a discussion round and an extension of the second task. Here, the candidate will be asked more questions by the examiner based on the previous topic.
Note: In some test centers, the Speaking test can either be given on the same day or up to 7 days before or after the date of your test. In the case of CBT IELTS, the Speaking test will be taken either before or after the other sections of the exam.
IELTS India Results and Scores
The scoring range for the IELTS India exam is between 0-9. The scoring range corresponds to the skill level of the candidate which may range from the expert user (9) to Non-User (1).
The expected dates for the IELTS IDP or IELTS India exam results are as follows:
- In the case of the CBT IELTS exam, the candidates can expect the results online within 3 to 5 days after their test date.
- In the case of the PBT IELTS exam, the candidates can expect the results online on the 13th day after the test.
- For candidates who have attempted the IELTS skill-based test, they can expect the results on the 7th day after the test.
Please note that you will be notified when your test results arrive via email or by your test center. Also, the IELTS India certificate validity is up to 2 years only.
British Council vs IDP IELTS India
There is a considerable debate among students when it comes to the British Council vs IDP IELTS India. On the contrary, there is not much difference between the two. Both the British Council and IDP are joint owners and official conducting bodies of the IELTS exam.
The candidates get the same test regardless of the British Council or the IDP because they do not write the test but only conduct them. All the tests used at the British Council and IDP are compiled by Cambridge English Language Assessment which is one of the joint owners of IELTS. Not to mention, all the examiners for both the British Council and IDP are trained in the same way and follow the same guidelines.
However, one noticeable difference is the difference in infrastructure. The IDP program has more centers in India helping students with the IELTS exam than the British Council.
Best IELTS Books in India
If you’re planning to attempt the IELTS India exam, you will require a range of good and sought-after study material which includes online coaching, academic books, and offline tutoring. Some of the best IELTS books that you can refer to are enlisted below:
IELTS Test Centres in India
The IELTS exam is offered in more than 67 test cities across India. However, the Computer-Based and Paper IELTS Test is only conducted in specific test centers across India. Some of the major cities in which IELTS is conducted in India are mentioned below:
- Navi Mumbai
- New Delhi-South
- New Delhi-West
- Raikot – Punjab
- Rajkot – Gujarat
- Sri Ganganagar
- Sri Muktsar Sahib
- Thimphu (Bhutan)
Tips to Crack the IELTS Exam
It is always better to be prepared well in advance before giving your IELTS Exam. You can below a list of items that can help you crack the IELTS India exam successfully:
- Mock Tests: Before you attempt your IELTS exam, you should always attempt some practice tests that will give you an idea of your strengths and weaknesses. It will also give you an understanding of how the test is and what to expect on the test date.
- Know the Test Format: Be aware of the test format. You need to familiarise yourself with the pattern of the IELTS exam as well as the various tasks that come under four main sections.
- Be Aware of the Time: Each section has a time limit and it is important to adhere to the time limit. Keep on practising the mock test till you complete the various sections under the allotted time.
- Improve your English: It is important to simultaneously improve your English while you are preparing for your IELTS Exam. Hence while your score may improve, you may forget to practice your English properly. Hence you must speak, read and listen to some practise English-speaking materials such as podcasts, videos, and books.
- Using Proper English Terms: While it may be tempting to use slang words while attempting the test, it is important to remember that you should only use formal, appropriate, assertive English terms and grammar.
Prepare for IELTS India with Leverage Live
Leverage Live, powered by Leverage Edu, is a one-of-a-kind standardized test prep platform that offers online A-class preparation courses for IELTS, GMAT, GREand SAT. A slew of formalities, such as qualifying competitive tests, permits, time-consuming selection procedures, and so on, sometimes accompany the concept of studying abroad. The most important thing is to qualify for the appropriate language proficiency exam based on the university’s and your research destination’s requirements.
IELTS Success Stories
Leverage Live, which has been a part of many remarkable IELTS Success Stories, provides you with one-touch access to top industry experts, best-in-class study material and preparation resources, and an interactive class experience that includes live sessions, a personal dashboard, and more to guide you towards the score you desire!
So this is everything that you need to know about the IELTS India Exam. If you’re planning to give the exam shortly, you can reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu to build a strong preparation plan that can help you ace your IELTS exam and score well!
Learn More: Những điều cần biết về IELTS