The subject of family and relatives is always appropriate since they are close to us and something is always happening in their lives: someone is getting married, another is moving to another city, still another is looking for a new job. Perhaps someone bought a new car, and someone else has new children or grandchildren.
In most countries, the nuclear family is a central part of life, and having the vocabulary to speak about it is a central part of language learning. If you have ever had to speak about your family or relatives in English, you know how important it is to have the necessary vocabulary of English words in order to freely speak about the subject of family.
Read more: Speaking about family
So today we will learn – and for some, it will be a review – helpful words and phrases about family and relatives: immediate family, extended family, and more.
I’ll also give you some sample sentences which you can adjust and use when speaking about your own family and relatives.
Names of Family Members and Relatives in English
Watch more: Report Writing on Educational Tour [With PDF]
Xem Thêm : Describe a teenager you know
- Stepmother / Stepfather
- Stepson /stepdaughter
Brief Things to Say about Family in English
Now let’s look at some ways to describe the family. If you change a few words in each sentence, you can use them as a basis to talk about your own family and relatives.
- I come from a small/big family.
- There are (number) people in my family.
- My brother/sister (name) lives in (place). He/She is an (occupation).
- I look like my Dad. We both have blue eyes and fair hair.
- I’m very different from my Mum. She is talkative and doesn’t like to wait for anything. But I’m very shy and patient.
- My sister likes staying at home and cooking, but I prefer gardening and outdoor activities.
- My brother enjoys playing sports, but I prefer reading and watching movies.
- We always have lunch/dinner together at the weekend. Sometimes we go away for the weekend.
- We don’t see each other very often, but I try to call my parents once a week/day.
- I live near my sister/cousin, so we meet for coffee every week.
- My brother lives far away, but I go to visit him and his family sometimes/every summer.
There really is no limit to the number of sentences you can make. You can talk about their personalities, appearance, or the things they like to do.
We have online tutors in more than 50 languages.
Preply is one of the leading educational platforms that provide 1-on-1 lessons with certified tutors via the exclusive video chat.
- Find my online tutor now
- 1456 reviews, “Excellent”
Possible things to talk about are:
- Brief facts about your family (how many people, a large or small family)
- The names of each family member and how they are related to you
- Appearance and personality
- What kind of relationship you have with each family member (for example, common interests or hobbies)
“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.” – Richard Bach
That’s all. If you have questions, feel free to write them in the Comments.
Good luck with learning English!
Watch more: Visit to a Historical Place Essay for All Class