This is a model response to a Writing Task 2 topic from High Scorer’s Choice IELTS Practice Tests book series (reprinted with permission). This answer is likely to score IELTS Band 9.
Set 1 Academic book, Practice Test 5
Read more: Ielts writing sample of band 9
Writing Task 2
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Write about the following topic:
Xem Thêm : How to Talk about your Childhood in English
Some people believe today that everyone has a right to access to the Internet and that governments should provide this access for free. Other people believe that access to the internet is not a right and should be paid for like other services.
Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
You should write at least 250 words.
Nowadays most information is transmitted over the Internet. A strong dependency on this medium has been created, as personal, political and economic news and information are shared through it. As the Internet is so widely needed, many people believe that governments should provide this access for free. Others believe that Internet access should be paid for.
Before the creation of the Internet, people had phones, newspapers and televisions; nowadays the Internet can replace all of these. Society is now built on a system that relies on everyone having access to the Internet, whether this be in school or in work life. However, while it is seen as a basic necessity in western cultures, the costs for accessing it are still too high for some people. When this point of view is taken into account, it can be concluded that governments should provide access, or a division of inequality will be created in society.
However, when one takes into account the things that the Internet has replaced, it becomes apparent that most of these are not free as well. It is necessary to pay for phone calls, for television and for newspapers. Storing all the information and passing it to consumers through the World Wide Web also entails costs. This raises the question whether the Internet should be handled differently. Providing Internet access to everyone would mean a significant cost for the governments, especially at times of economic crisis. Therefore, this is not a plausible solution to integrate each individual into the society.
In my opinion, while the Internet has become as necessary as a phone, governments should not provide it for free, as the money needed for this would put too much strain on public resources. This finance could be used for even more urgent topics, such as poverty and starvation.
Go here for more IELTS Band 9 Essays
Share this to help your friends do better in IELTS!
Watch more: IELTS Essay Task 1: Employment for Men and Women
- IELTS essay, topic: Individuals should be responsible for funding their own retirement (agree/disagree) This is a model response to a Writing Task 2…
- IELTS Band 9 essay, topic: The world today is a safer place and governments should stop spending large amounts of money on their armed forces (agree/disagree). This is a model response to a Writing Task 2…
- IELTS essay, topic: Only people over 18 years old should be allowed to use social media (agree/disagree) This is a model response to a Writing Task 2…
- IELTS essay, topic: Everybody should pay a small amount from their income to help people in poverty (agree/disagree) This is a model response to a Writing Task 2…
- IELTS Essay, topic: Some people believe that the problem of illegal drugs can be solved by legalising all drugs (agree/disagree) This is a model response to a Writing Task 2…